Preparation, preparation, preparation
Moving house is, without doubt, one of the most stressful times of your life. There are so many different things to think about – mortgage, solicitor, agent, contracts – and that’s before you’ve even started to pack and hire a removal company! Whether you’re buying, selling, or both, there is one thing that we would always recommend – preparation.
Every time you move house, and hopefully it won’t be too many times, you learn something new that you possibly hadn’t prepared for – always expect the unexpected. Whether you are buying or selling, there are common financial areas that need to be considered.
- Solicitors and legal fees
- Stamp duty
- Moving costs
But when it comes to the other areas that need attention, it is slightly different for selling and buying – mastering the two together can sometimes feel like a bridge too far, admittedly. And that’s where checklists can be so important.
Creating a checklist with timelines or due dates included that you can constantly refer to will be the make or break to a successful house move. Your checklist for selling a property is going to be different from the one for buying a property.
As well as the financial aspects of moving house, as above, you also need to include:
- Arranging approximately three property valuations from local agents.
- Agreeing a guide price with your instructed agent.
- Preparing your home ready for sale, and keeping it that way, which isn’t always easy!
- Instruct a solicitor or dedicated property conveyancer.
- Deciding what your bottom line is for accepting offers.
- Liaison between agents and solicitors in working towards an exchange and completion.
Your checklist for buying a house will need to include:
- Deciding on your budget.
- Deciding on where you want to live – first choice, second choice and if necessary, a third choice.
- Deciding on what your future property’s tick boxes – needs and desires, and deciding on what you are prepared to compromise on.
- Organising a survey, and which type of survey.
And then there’s not forgetting arranging a removal company to physically ‘move’ you to your new home, which you can’t do until you know the completion date if you’re selling and buying simultaneously. Plus the final dotting of the i’s and crossing of the t’s, such as arranging for the gas and electricity meters to be read, liaison with the water and telephone companies, and settling all accounts. What a headache!
Preparation is the key to any house move; the more prepared you are, the more smoothly the whole process will be, and the less stress for everyone. Military precision is not necessarily required but as we were once advised ‘failing to prepare is preparing to fail’.
At Elizabeth Hunt & Associates, we are always on hand to offer a highly professional, honest and transparent customer service that you can trust, alongside expert local knowledge and advice. You, the customer, are our focus because we believe everyone’s needs are different. We are the local independent agent that offers a different approach to buying and selling, or renting and letting your property. We will always go that extra mile so that you are reassured that the service we provide is right for you.
Call us today for a different experience in managing the sale or rental of your property.