Calvert Road, Effingham, KT24 5SF
SPACIOUS, SELF-CONTAINED ONE BEDROOM BUNGALOW ON OUTSKIRTS OF VILLAGE, WITHIN EASY REACH OF RAIL STATION AND LOCAL AMENITIES
Situated on the outskirts of Surrey village, Effingham, is this newly-refurbished and spacious one bedroom bungalow. The self-contained property benefits from its own entrance, wood floors and new carpets, fully-fitted kitchen, 2 reception rooms, fitted wardrobes in the bedroom, parking space and private artificial grass garden that is easy to maintain and ideal for entertaining.
Schooling in the area is excellent and includes the Howard of Effingham School, Manor House School, St Lawrence Primary School and St Teresa’s in Effingham, the Dawnay School in Great Bookham, St John’s School and Downsend School in Leatherhead, Guildford High School in Guildford, Box Hill School in Mickleham and Ashcombe School in Dorking. A few miles distance is the ACS International School, Reeds School, Notre Dame, Parkside and Feltonfleet schools in Cobham. Effingham railway station is nearby with regular services to London Waterloo (approximatley 40-50 minutes) whilst the A3 and M25 motorway are within easy reach, leading to central London, Heathrow and Gatwick airports.
- Entrance porch
- Living room
- Dining room
- Fully-fitted kitchen
- Bedroom with fitted wardrobes
- Parking space
- Garden with easy-to-maintain artificial grass
- Leatherhead : 4 miles
- Cobham : 4.5 miles
- Dorking : 6 miles
- Epsom : 9 miles
- Central London : 16 miles
- Bookham : 1.5 miles
- Gatwick : 17 miles
- Heathrow : 18 miles
(All distances are approximate)
- Howard of Effingham School, Effingham
- Manor House School, Effingham
- St Lawrence Primary School, Effingham
- St Teresa’s, Effingham
- Dawnay School, Great Bookham
- St John’s School, Leatherhead
- Downsend School, Leatherhead
- Guildford High School, Guildford
- Box Hill School, Mickleham
- Ashcombe School, Dorking
- The ACS International School, Cobham
- Reeds School, Cobham
- Notre Dame, Cobham
- Parkside, Cobham
- Feltonfleet, Cobham
Effingham is a popular rural village situated between the towns of Guildford and Leatherhead, and appears in the Domesday Book of 1086. By the 14th century, the main manor house stood on the site of a Regency mansion, which is now Effingham Golf Club’s clubhouse, and was owned by Sir John Poultney, the Lord Mayor of London four times. The fabulous mansion/clubhouse features a large, intricately carved oak fireplace in the Armada room, dating back to 1591, and was believed to have originated on one of Lord Howard of Effingham’s ships. What is now Effingham Golf Course was used by King Henry VIII for hunting when he was staying at Hampton Court and was owned by Sir Thomas Hussey Apreece in 1815. By 1927, the land was leased for the building of the golf course, designed by Harry S Colt, with one of the largest man-made lakes in the county.
One of the village’s most famous and enigmatic residents was Sir Barnes Wallis, inventor of the bouncing bomb that breached the Eder and Mohne dams in World War II. Wallis lived in the village with his family for 49 years in their home overlooking the 17th fairway of the golf course. It is believed that early ‘bouncing bomb’ experiments were carried out in his garden using the family washtub and his children’s marbles. Wallis was an active member of the village serving as the secretary and part of the governing body of the Grade II listed St Lawrence Church, as well as being a Parish Councillor and Chairman of the Effingham Housing Association which helped the elderly and poor of the village with housing. He was knighted in 1968; on his 80th birthday, the village presented him with an album about the history of Effingham in recognition of his national and village contributions; he died in 1979.
Effingham is home to a number of architecturally-recognised buildings of Sir Edwin Lutyens including the Red House, which was built in 1893 for Susan Muir-Mackenzie. She was a mutual friend of Gertrude Jekyll who laid out the house’s garden and orchard. The house later become Corpus Domini Convent and was later converted to apartments in 2008.
The village centre features a range of local stores and post office whilst the popular railway station is to the north of the village and offers regular services to London. The KGV playing fields, of which Barnes Wallis was an founding member and Chairman of the KGV Management Committee, offers plenty of sporting opportunities as do the local golf and rugby clubs.
- Effingham mainline rail station with regular services to London Waterloo
- (approximately 45 minutes) nearby.
- A3 within a short driving distance providing access to London, the M25 and
- motorway network providing easy access to both Heathrow and Gatwick airports.
- Excellent choice of schools including Howard of Effingham School, St Teresa’s
- School and St Lawrence Primary School.
- Local village stores, dental surgeries, veterinary surgery and Post Office within the High street names and department stores in nearby Leatherhead and Guildford.
If you're interested in viewing this property, fill out the form below to arrange a viewing.